For founders and executives, raising capital is always a hot topic. Cash is the lifeblood of any organisation and the “capital stack” is an important and complicated area of finance that far too many entrepreneurs don’t have a proper understanding of.
After several podcasts with the Westbrooke team members, in which we have learnt about the different investment mandates in the group and how they operate, we welcomed Jonti Osher back to the show alongside Brent Blankfield, both of whom focus on flexible capital solutions. If you ever wanted to know how to make your business more attractive to an investor like Westbrooke, you’re in the right place.
We discussed topics like:
- The critical importance of the management team and the need to build partnerships around the companies that Westbrooke invests in.
- The extent to which Westbrooke performs a due diligence on the management team, not just the business.
- The niche in which Westbrooke plays, focusing on speed of execution and an ability to do value-adding lending transactions that are usually too small for investment banks.
- The approach taken in assessing a business for a debt-led investment strategy, with an equity kicker for Westbrooke as part of a hybrid funding strategy.
- The ways in which to make a business more investable for Westbrooke.
This is a must-listen for anyone interested in understanding more about capital raising and the relationship between risk and return.
For more information on Westbrooke’s alternative asset strategies, be sure to visit www.westbrooke.co.za to find out more. You can also find Westbrooke on Twitter @WAAM_SA. Westbrooke Alternative Asset Management is an authorised Financial Services Provider, FSP number 46750.